Sunday, March 6, 2005

Cap-Haitien


Almost immediately upon my arrival, the kids began showing up at Lakay Fondasyon (photo), hoping for food, mattresses and clothes. It's been raining all week, and, with no cook, I have been making pots of soup to feed about 8-10 children each day. It's not much, but at least I can give each of them a multi-vitamin. I had to ask them to not come on the weekends, as I have other work that has to get done.

I bought a small generator, finally, and it's now pumping water from the well. It's not big enough to supply power to the whole house, but it's a start. The wiring in the house continues to cause problems -- the entire compound has no power today -- and the landlord's electrician is here rewiring the house again.

I bought two beds that I can put together today. I had planned to buy three beds but the prices had gone up so much from last year, we will make do with these two for now. The price of propane is also much higher this year. What this means is that now the poor are even hungrier, and dying faster than before. It also means that the money raised so far is not going to come even close to meeting the needs.

Kenbe [hanging in there!], Sharon

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails